Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zip not syncing after the update to Android 9

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My husband and I updated our Pixel 2 phones yesterday to Android 9.  Now our fitbits won't sync.  Any tips for this new version?

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity.

Best Answer
111 REPLIES 111

I also have been having to remove the battery from my zip every night to get it to sync since my late February update of Samsung Galaxy s9 plus. Please advise. Extremely frustrating.

Best Answer

I am having the same issue! My tracker is not syncing. I will try resetting as some have posted. Fitbit support if you see this reach out to me! Thanks!

Best Answer

I see a lot of blame leveled at FitBit that may not be entirely warranted. It was the Android update that busted our synching, after all, though why Zips were selectively affected may have to do with old hardware/firmware.
I would just like FitBit to estimate for us a date by which a fix is likely to be in place. Are we talking days, weeks, months, or never?

Moderator edit: Format.

Best Answer

I agree but the update to Android 9 came out in October...

I agree, and it takes time, but 6+ months is a bit drawn out....Android updates arent completely out of the blue, they should do their research and cater to the platforms that they say they support.

Best Answer

The blame has been on FitBit because of their awareness of the problem and lack of getting it rectified. FitBit had an update as recent as March 5th 2019 with still no resolution for the zips. There have been 7 updates to the fitbit app since Android 9 Pie release in August of last year when the problem started. To point blame anywhere else would be misdirected. Android can't be expected to vet every one of its apps available in the appstore, the terms and conditions when signing up to post an app I believe state that. It's like telling Microsoft or Apple to test all software created for their platform including freeware, opensource and otherwise before pushing an upgrade. That is why all OS manufacturers including Android have developer and beta channels. app vendors are usually given advance notice of upgrades so they can test their app(s)lications before deployment of the upgraded OS. When there is a problem with an app or application you call the tech support of the software manufacturer not the operating system vendor.

I would agree we would all like to see something put forth by fitbit but as you can see from the moderator @YojanaFitbit , they have been aware since August 22, 2018 so it appears a time frame is not something they are willing commit to. I am also not saying that they have an easy job finding the issue but 7 months now . . . come on. Give the consumers something.

Best Answer

That's a nice way of putting it  Based on their actions they don't care about their customers. The Samsung Gear S3 tracks indoor activities and works fine on android 9.0.

Best Answer

@AndreaFitbit has there been a response from your management bexahbe it's been over a week...

I see that there's no sense of urgency from any department in Fitbit. 

Best Answer

Hi guys, thanks for posting your inquiries here. Sorry for the delay.

Let me give you a hand to each one of your, we're here to help. Always welcome to our new users @Duffy2007, @GaJoRock and @AteTheHeckUp, it's always nice to have new members.

@Duffy2007 thanks for sharing your inquiry, but at this moment we don't have updates about this. Please note that all Fitbit trackers are fully compatible with this list of devices, other devices might have some issues connecting or receiving notifications. Although, the syncing issues that we're discussing here are different. 

@Sniles a we're glad to see you again here. At this moment we don't have more information, our team is working on a fix, but we don't have time frame to offer you a solution. In the meantime, our best recommendation is to restart your Zip when trying to connect with an Android version 9 device or try a different device/computer to sync. 

@ligardener thanks for sharing your feedback, we'll pass it along. Sorry you feel that way, we're here to help and support our users. For this specific issue we don't  have any update but we'll let you now as soon as we have more information about it. 

@Jabds thanks for sharing your experience. Sorry for the inconvenience, we appreciate the feedback about our customer service interaction. It's very important to us to have your thoughts in regards our product and your customer support interactions. As mentioned before, we don't have a fix for this issue at this moment. We recommend to keep syncing your Fitbit with a different device if it is possible, since this issues came up after the lates update to Android 9. We'll let you know if anything changes.

@GaJoRock sorry to hear about how you feel. We’re aware of it, but may not be able to provide a fix in the immediate future. We understand that this isn't the resolution you're hoping for, but rest assured we're always working to improve our products.

@BrandonCA thanks for sharing your concern in this thread. If you're using an Android device to sync your Fitbit Zip, we recommend to perform a restart on it and try to sync again; or trying a different device or computer to confirm that your Zip is not having a different issue. If you need me to request a case for you after reading this information, please let me know.

@ultiweb thanks for sharing your feedback. Sorry about this inconvenience, our user are very important for us. As mentioned above, we understand that this isn't the resolution you're hoping for, but rest assured we're always working to improve our products.

See you around. 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@YojanaFitbit  did you speak to your management about this? 

Best Answer

On a Galaxy Note 9 with Pie Update. Zip only syncs.once after a battery pull. Seeing as this issue has been noted for more than 8 months I will now look at the Garmin equivalent and move on. The line to your users cant be use another device for 8 months for syncing purposes. This shows an unbelievable lack of respect for your android users. Even just a proper explanation as to what has occurred would be better. 

Best Answer

Hi @Jabds nice to see you here again. I've passed the feedback to our team. Sorry for the this inconvenience and for the delayed response.

@Ftank983 Welcome to the Forums! Thanks taking the time to post your feedback. We don't have updates about this issue. As mentioned earlier in this thread, we got the reports on Android users having syncing issues after the update of  9.0 (Pie) version. We suggest to sync your tracker with a different device or a PC, so you don't loose your data and you can keep the time on your Fitbit. We apologize of any inconvenience, while we're working on this.

I'll be around. 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can fix this!

It has been an issue for a long time now!

Moderator edit: format.

Best Answer

@YojanaFitbit  Has there been any word from your management...it’s been awhile

i also wrote your company a letter and there was no response back. Even a private email back, months keep passing. On your site there is no mention of compatibility issues and the requirements by my phone are all met from the zip site.  The Better Business Bureau are going to have to get involved because Fitbit is just making false claims at this point with no intention to provide a reasonable fix date.

Best Answer

I am having the same issue...and I just realized this issue was posted in the forum last year. Has there been a fix for this issue, yet? As others have done, I am also removing the battery on a daily basis to restart and not lose any data.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is crazy, unacceptable!!! FitBit knew about this issue many many months ago. Can't understand why they haven't  remedied it yet. If I had know about this, I would not have allowed my android to update to version 9.. Would have held off until a fix was made. I love my Zip. But am mad and frustrated about this.

Best Answer

Boo Hiss...been waiting a long time. Too long!

Maybe it's time to jump ship and give up on Fit Bit....find a different brand

Best Answer

I echo others' frustrations. I just purchased a zip because, according to fitbits website, my pixel 2 is a compatible phone. I exclusively use Fitbit to sync with my calorie counting app and update my calorie goal based on my activity. I don't care about steps, I don't care about the Fitbit app, and I don't care about my data being stored over the long term. The support folks on the phone are obviously unaware of this issue, because they never asked what version of the operating system I was using. At minimum, your support team should be aware of this issue and not waste an hour of my time asking me to retry steps I had already take, which your company is aware will be fruitless. I'm frustrated because I bought this device and will literally never be able to use it, But I have removed it from the packaging, taken off the back of it several times and scratched it up doing so, and am unable to return it. What an incredible waste of money. 

Best Answer

Considering this has been going on since at least August of last year, I think we are due a solution.

Best Answer

Your "suggestion" of syncing to a different device is not an option, so stop mentioning it.  Everyone here has been telling you that.  

As for then "sync with a PC", that is also pointless.  Getting a solution by fixing your software/firmware and/or giving us an explanation for what is going on is preferable.  Your stock answers for almost a year is, to be frank, ridiculous.  Next time, try giving us some useful information.  Also, considering your list of compatible devices lists out the devices people have been complaining about, and that the OS is listed as compatible, that also is a moot point to constantly re-mention.

That Fitbit hasn't resolved this, by now, is criminal.  If you aren't going to support a product any longer, then tell us, don't drag this BS out.

So disappointed with the corporate support from Fitbit.  

Best Answer

will fitbit send a notification of some kind to zip users when this problem is resolved?  

Best Answer